Is PDFGenie Search search engine safe to use?
PDFGenie Search is a browser hijacker by Inkcamel. It gives the impression that this company employs magicians to pull out browser hijackers like rabbits out of a hat. The program replaces your homepage and default search provider with PDFGenie Search. Just like any other toolbar, PDFGenie Search can be downloaded from its official website thinking that it can improve your browsing experience. None of the programs or services promoted by PDFGenie Search are to be trusted and it itself should be removed upon detection. So, no matter that this program is presented as a very useful application (according to its developer:
We have developed a guide how to remove PDFGenie Search manually. Currently, the “market” is occupied by the Safer Browser hijackers and the ones released by Imali Ltd. Once that is done, you will notice a sudden change of your default homepage. But PDFGenie Search is not Google. Besides, it replaces browser’s primary search engine as well. In other words, it will show you modified search results. What it really means is that this app installs browser extensions that automatically change your homepage to aforesaid PDFGenie Search, and also these browser’s modifications allow this program to access your browsing activity records – visited websites, search terms, saved bookmarks and so on.
Why security experts recommend people to remove PDFGenie Search search engine once it is detected?
PDFGenie Search can infiltrate into your system bundled with various freeware from the Internet. It is also the creator of Utility Chest Toolbar, DictionaryBoss Toolbar, and hundreds of other suspicious toolbars that all provide links to third-party websites. Anti-Malware Tool, Remember, people who are related to this hijacker have been writing comments in various forums claiming that this program is not related to malware. Be careful because some of these search outcomes can cause PDFGenie Search redirects to insecure third-party pages that might be filled with questionable or even harmful content. But if it is a website delivered by the hijacker, then the site will be commercial, and you will help PDFGenie Search generate a financial profit.
Most likely, you have not set PDFGenie Search as your new homepage and search tool. This is how its creators are making money. As long as the means this content is displayed are illegitimate – your browser settings are forced to undergo a metamorphosis – PDFGenie Search browser extension will remain illegitimate as well. Please, choose “Custom“ or “Advanced” installation option instead and unclick all unnecessary attachments. Not all computer systems are configured correctly to have the backups. Pick advanced/custom modes for installations.
What to do if I already have this browser hijacker running on my computer?
There is no doubt that this application has no use for your computer, and, needless to say that it can even cause bad redirects. Open Firefox (optional). If you are an advanced computer user, you may decide to remove PDFGenie Search from your PC manually. Follow the constructed guidelines below to complete such task yourself. The free manual removal instructions for the removal of PDFGenie Search hijacker are provided below, in case you need them. However, PDFGenie Search virus might have been between those suggestions that got automatically installed in your computer systems if you chose the basic mode. Additional components are usually hidden or disclosed in a misleading manner.
Manual Removal Instructions
PDFGenie Search Removal from Windows
Uninstall from Windows XP:
- Open the Start menu and click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- Select and Remove the undesirable software.
Uninstall from Windows Vista and Windows 7:
1. Click the Windows icon on the Taskbar and select Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program and find the undesirable software.
3. Right-click and Uninstall the program you have chosen to remove.
Uninstall from Windows 8:
- Access the Metro UI menu, right-click on the screen and select All apps.
- Open the Control Panel and click Uninstall.
- Right-click the program you have chosen to remove and select Uninstall.
How to remove PDFGenie Search from Browsers
Delete PDFGenie Search from Internet Explorer
- Right-click the IE shortcut and choose Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and find the Target line.
- Delete the text that is written after iexplore.exe” and click OK.
- Launch your browser and press Alt+T.
- Choose Manage Add-ons and move to Search providers.
- Choose the unwanted engine and click Remove.
- Click Close and press Alt+T again.
- Select Options and go to General tab.
- Change the Home Page and click OK.
Remove PDFGenie Search from Mozilla Firefox
- Right-click the Firefox shortcut and choose go to Properties.
- Move to Shortcut tab and find the Target.
- Erase the text after firefox.exe” and Click OK.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and go to search box.
- Click the search provider icon and choose Manage Search Engines.
- Find the suspicious engine and remove it.
- Click OK.
- Press Alt+T and select Options.
- Move to General tab and choose Home Page.
- Replace the current Home Page with your preferred one.
- Click OK.
Delete PDFGenie Search from Google Chrome
- Right-click the Chrome shortcut and go to Properties.
- Choose Shortcut tab and move to Target line.
- Delete the text after chrome.exe” and click OK.
- Launch Chrome and tap Alt+T.
- Go to Settings and check Open a specific page or set of pages.
- Choose Set pages and change the given default URL to your preferred one.
- Click OK.
- Under Appearance mark Show Home button and select Change.
- Change the provided URL with the one you prefer and click OK.
- Under Search choose Manage search engines and find the URL of the unwanted engine.
- Click X and delete it.
- Click Done.