What is Max Speed Search?
We want to inform you about a new browser hijacker called Speed (also known as Speed Virus) that is set to hijack your web browser’s homepage and new tab page addresses, as well as the search provider address. It is presented as a search tool designed to give its users one-click access to the best search providers on the Internet. If you need a tool for that, you should opt for reputable search sites, such as Google, Yahoo or Bing. Even if the hijacker was not redirecting you to third-party sites and not showing potentially malicious links, we could not recommend trusting it.
Currently, there is no solid information on how this hijacker is disseminated. Since the latter methods if quite challenging, we have developed a guide how to do it and provided it below this article. These changes will change your online experience for the worse, to say the least. On the contrary, we believe that it is misleading and untrustworthy. These commercial ads and third-party advertisements will be put among the legitimate search results, so it is very likely that you will click on any of them one day.
To avoid Speed hijack, follow these simple rules:
There are a few imperative steps that you need to take in order to drastically reduce the risk of infecting your PC with Speed or any other intrusive program. It does that with the help of freewares/sharewares. It usually includes one legitimate program and one or two potentially unwanted programs. The authentic sites are also stuffed with various 3rd party ads – pop-ups, banners, interstitial ads, etc. If you do not want to expose your system to potential dangers, you should install a trustworthy computer security program, for example, Anti-Malware Tool or any other anti-spyware software. If, by any chance, you allow such a lot onto your computer, you should not hesitate to scan your system with a trustworthy online malware scanner if you do not have a proper security tool installed. It is always better to download applications only from completely trusted sources.
It’s not that easy to get rid of this hijacker. Not to mention that Speed does not even provide you with reliable search results. Control Panel, Add/Remove programs list and uninstall anything related to this This information is necessary for custom advertising. To avoid a need to deal with this hijacker in the future, think about automatic removal option. However, we think that you should scan your machine with anti-spyware to be sure that it is totally safe and free of malicious or suspicious programs. All that is needed for this method to succeed is always keeping your antivirus updated to its latest version.
What actions should I take to remove this browser hijacker from Firefox, Chrome, IE?
Manual Removal Instructions
Speed Removal from Windows
Uninstall from Windows XP:
- Open the Start menu and click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- Select and Remove the undesirable software.
Uninstall from Windows Vista and Windows 7:
1. Click the Windows icon on the Taskbar and select Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program and find the undesirable software.
3. Right-click and Uninstall the program you have chosen to remove.
Uninstall from Windows 8:
- Access the Metro UI menu, right-click on the screen and select All apps.
- Open the Control Panel and click Uninstall.
- Right-click the program you have chosen to remove and select Uninstall.
How to remove Speed from Browsers
Delete Speed from Internet Explorer
- Right-click the IE shortcut and choose Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and find the Target line.
- Delete the text that is written after iexplore.exe” and click OK.
- Launch your browser and press Alt+T.
- Choose Manage Add-ons and move to Search providers.
- Choose the unwanted engine and click Remove.
- Click Close and press Alt+T again.
- Select Options and go to General tab.
- Change the Home Page and click OK.
Remove Speed from Mozilla Firefox
- Right-click the Firefox shortcut and choose go to Properties.
- Move to Shortcut tab and find the Target.
- Erase the text after firefox.exe” and Click OK.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and go to search box.
- Click the search provider icon and choose Manage Search Engines.
- Find the suspicious engine and remove it.
- Click OK.
- Press Alt+T and select Options.
- Move to General tab and choose Home Page.
- Replace the current Home Page with your preferred one.
- Click OK.
Delete Speed from Google Chrome
- Right-click the Chrome shortcut and go to Properties.
- Choose Shortcut tab and move to Target line.
- Delete the text after chrome.exe” and click OK.
- Launch Chrome and tap Alt+T.
- Go to Settings and check Open a specific page or set of pages.
- Choose Set pages and change the given default URL to your preferred one.
- Click OK.
- Under Appearance mark Show Home button and select Change.
- Change the provided URL with the one you prefer and click OK.
- Under Search choose Manage search engines and find the URL of the unwanted engine.
- Click X and delete it.
- Click Done.